The information below is taken from
the Dictionary of American Naval
Chapter 3, Patrol Squadron Histories. http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-vol2/chap3-1.pdf
This is the official history of the second VP2, a direct descendant of
Bombing Squadron 130 (VB130) flying PV-1s. A link to an
abbreviated narrative format history is at the bottom of this page.
The first Navy
aircraft squadron to carry the designation of Patrol Squadron TWO
descended from Patrol Squadron TEN, established in 1924. http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-vol2/chap4-5.pdfI remember meeting
a man at the 1986 reunion who had served in VP2 in the
1930's. As of Jun 2004, we have one member who served in VP2
flying PM-2s in 1934-36 out of Coco Solo, Panama. The history of
the first VP2 is here.
A page dedicated to
those known to have lost their lives
while serving in Patrol Squadron Two and its predecessors is here. nvsoar 18Jun2004
as Bombing Squadron ONE HUNDRED THIRTY (VB-130) on 1 March
Redesignated Patrol Bombing Squadron ONE HUNDRED THIRTY (VPB-130) on 1
Redesignated Patrol Squadron ONE HUNDRED THIRTY (VP-130) on 15 May
Redesignated Medium Patrol Squadron (Landplane) TWO (VP-ML-2) on 15
Redesignated Patrol Squadron TWO (VP-2) on 1 September 1948, the second squadron to be assigned the VP-2
Disestablished on 30 September 1969.
established at Deland, Fla., on 1 March 1943, but it was not until after the squadron had
been redesignated VPB-130 that any record of a squadron insignia was
found. The first insignia, approved by CNO on 8
superimposed a clock face with a bomb for the hour hand and rocket for
the minute hand set at , on a silhouette of a PV-1 Ventura aircraft
with a starlit sky as background.The
design symbolized the round the clock bombing and rocket operations
capability of the squadron’s first aircraft, the PV-1 Ventura.The field was royal blue; stars, white;
aircraft, light gray with black markings; clock, white; numerals,
black; and clock hands, red.VPB-130 was
redesignated VP-130, then VPML- 2, and transitioned from the PV-2
Harpoon to the P2V Neptune patrol bomber.In
with the redesignations, transition to a new aircraft, and reassignment
basic mission to antisubmarine warfare, a new squadron insignia was
appropriate. The new design, approved by CNO on 10 June
1947, presented a
cartoon King Neptune riding a rocket, against a starry sky and globe
background.In Neptune’s hand was a trident with cannon barrels in
place of tines. The background of the globe represented the long-range
capability of the P2V Neptune.The night
sky denoted around-the-clock flying and King Neptune symbolized the sea
and squadron’s aircraft.The rocket was
incorporated into the insignia to
show the fast punch of Neptune’s armament.The
trident with multiple gun barrels denoted the aircraft’s multiple
firepower.Colors: stars, white; sky, dark
blue; water, light blue; continents, white; rocket, light gray;King Neptune’s belt, blue; pants, red; beard,
white; crown and trident, yellow; nose, red; body, pink; and guns, gray.The cartoon King Neptune insignia was adopted
by the squadron after its redesignation from VP-ML-2 to VP-2, and
remained in use until 1 October
1956.At that time, CNO directed the squadron to come up with a new
“. . . in keeping with the dignity of the naval service, [as] cartoon
are not authorized in Naval Aviation Insignia . . . ”The resulting modification of the squadron insignia portrayed a
stylized King Neptune inside a blue disk with white border, Neptune
and bearded, crowned yellow, and clothed in flowing red toga.The right arm extended forward, the left hand
a yellow trident, Neptune was astride a black torpedo, colored white,
above the top portion of a blue globe were longitude and latitude lines
outlined in white.In an arc at the top of
there were three white stars, two above the extended arm and one behind
figure.The inscription PATROL SQUADRON
on a blue scroll in white capital letters.This
design was approved by CNO on 28 February 1957 and remained in effect until the squadron’s
disestablishment in 1969.
Chronology of Significant
3 Mar 1943: VB-130
was established at Deland, Fla.Organization
and training of squadron personnel took place over the next two and a
half months, followed on 17 May 1943 by shake-down training flying the PV-1
Ventura at Boca
7 Jun 1943: The
squadron deployed to San Juan, P.R., to provide convoy protection and ASW
in Caribbean waters.On 16 June
1943, the squadron was
relocated to Edinburgh Field, Trinidad, to continue convoy protection and
6 Aug 1943: Lieutenant
Holmes and his crew sank the German submarine, U-615, commanded
by Kaptainleutnant Ralph Kapitzky.The
submarine was caught on the surface in the Caribbean southeast of Curacao and damaged badly enough by the bombs to
prevent it from submerging.Unable to
escape, the German crew scuttled the vessel.Forty-five
of the Uboat’s crew of 49 were rescued by U.S. Navy vessels.
Aug 1943: The squadron moved
to Recife, Brazil, where it remained until 27
1943, when it was
again to Pici Field, Fortaleza.Antisubmarine
patrols and convoy coverage were the primary activities of the squadron
during the next eight months.
30 April 1944: VB-130
was relieved by VB-134 and returned to NAS Norfolk, Va. for home leave.
3 Jun 1944: The
squadron was reequipped with rocket launchers.Ground
attack training using rockets took place over the next 30 days.
3 Jul 1944: VB-130
began ferry operations to shift equipment, personnel and aircraft from
NAS Norfolk, Va., to NAS Alameda, Calif.On
6 August 1944 the squadron boarded Shirley Bay (CVE
85) for transfer to NAS Kaneohe, Hawaii, arriving on 13
10 Oct 1944: VPB-130
transferred to Ponam on ManusIsland.Training
continued along with operational ASW and antishipping patrols.
1 Nov 1944: VPB-130
began transferring its assets and personnel to Tacloban in the
Philippine Islands, via OwiIsland, Peleliu, Palau and Morotai. Squadron aircraft arrived on 6
November 1944, and
were placed under the tactical control of the 308th Bomb Wing of the
Army 5th Air Force.Through April 1945,
the squadron undertook a variety of missions in conjunction with 13th
Army Air Force operations.Detachments
operating from Morotai and OwiIsland conducted 300 to 600-mile sector searches.The remainder of the squadron at Tacloban
conducted 1,000-mile sector searches.Numerous
were made on Japanese island installations, radar sites, airfields and
24 Apr 1945: VPB-130
transferred to ManusIsland, where all personnel boarded Kadashan
Bay (CVE 76) on 1 May 1945 for return to the continental United States, where home leave was given to all hands.
31 Aug 1945: VPB-130
was reformed at Ault Field, NAS Whidbey Island, Wash., and training of
personnel commenced utilizing new aircraft, the PV-2 Harpoon.
29 Sep 1946: The
“Truculent Turtle,” the squadron’s first P2V-1 Neptune land-based
patrol bomber, flew from Perth, Australia, to Columbus, Ohio, a distance of 11,236 miles in 55 hours and
18 minutes.The aircraft (bureau number
89082) was manned by Commanders Thomas D. Davies, Eugene P. Rankin,
Walter S. Reid
and Lieutenant Commander Roy H. Tabeling.The
flight was nonstop, without refueling, establishing a world record for
flight.When the aircraft was taken out of
years later, it was placed on display at NAS Norfolk, Va.This historic aircraft is now on display at the National Museum
Naval Aviation, Pensacola, Fla.
1947: VP-ML-2 began
receiving the rest of its compliment of P2V-1 Neptunes from Lockheed
Aircraft Company, Burbank, Calif.These
replacements for the PV-2 Harpoons marked the beginning of an intense
period of training for all squadron personnel in antisubmarine warfare.
5 Jun 1950: VP-2
was assigned a tour in Alaska for cold-weather operational training.The squadron provided resupply missions for
the Oceanographic Survey being conducted in Alaskan waters.
1 Aug 1951: A
detachment of VP-2 flying P2V-3Ws deployed to NAF Naha, Okinawa, to patrol the East China Sea and Yellow Sea in the Korean theater of operations.The detachment remained in the combat zone
December 1951, this was squadron’s first and last involvement in the
1 Sep 1951: VP-2
became the first squadron to receive the new P2V-4 with the Wright Aero
R-3350W compound-turbo engine.Testing of
new engines was performed onsite at NAS Whidbey Island, Wash., without
deployments. Detachments during this period were assigned to NAS
Alaska, and Naha, Okinawa.The Naha
Detachment remained until 2 December 1951, flying several combat missions in support
the UN action in Korea.
9 Apr 1954: A
Neptune from VP-2 was attacked by a Chinese MiG-15
while on patrol over the Yellow Sea.The MiG made
three firing passes and the crew of the Neptune returned fire.There
was no apparent damage to either aircraft resulting from the encounter.
30 Nov 1964: VP-2
took first place among the Pacific Fleet squadrons in bombing, mining
and rocket competition despite instrument flying conditions during 90
percent of the competition period.
25 Jan 1965: VP-2
relieved VP-6 for a six-month deployment at Iwakuni, Japan.Squadron
detachments were assigned to Naha, Okinawa; Sangley Point, R.P.; Taiwan, Formosa; Bangkok, Thailand; and Da Nang and Saigon, RVN.The last
three months of the squadron’s WestPac tour was conducted at Tan Son
Nhut Air Base, Saigon, RVN—the squadron’s first tour in a combat zone
since World War II.
1 Apr 1966: VP-2
relieved VP-42 for a six-month WestPac deployment at Iwakuni, Japan.Four months of
the tour were spent at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Saigon, RVN.
1 Oct 1967: VP-2
deployed to WestPac with half of the squadron at NS Sangley Point,
R.P., and a six-aircraft detachment at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Saigon, RVN.The
detachment at Ton Son Nhut moved a few weeks later to CamRahnBay, RVN.
17 Feb 1969: The
squadron conducted its last deployment, its fourth to the Vietnam theater of operations, based at NS Sangley
30 Sep 1969: VP-2
was disestablished at NAS Whidbey Island, Oak Harbor, Wash.
Home Port Assignments
1 Mar 1943
Boca Chica, Fla.
17 May 1943
16 Jun 1943
27 Aug 1943
NAS Norfolk, Va.
30 Apr 1944
NAS Alameda, Calif.
3 Jul 1944
NAS Kaneohe, Hawaii
13 Aug 1944
NAS Whidbey Island, Wash.
31 Aug 1945
NAS Miramar, Calif.
NAS Whidbey Island,
1 Mar 1943
31 Aug 1945
(Date Assumed Command)
LCDR C. G. Price
1 Mar 1943
LCDR C. R. Dodds
3 Jun 1944
LCDR D. G. White
25 Apr 1945
LCDR Jesse L. Pennell
31 Aug 1945
LCDR Francis E. Schrader
LCDR Charles E. Healy
CDR Robert M. Kercheval
CDR C. A. Karaberis
CDR Renfro Turner, Jr
CDR Mervin J. Berg
CDR H. C. Weart
6 Dec 1952
CDR J. M. Barlow
CDR R .B. Minton
CDR A. W. LaMarre
1 Jul 1957
CDR H. M. Kalstad
4 Jun 1958
CDR D. F. Johnson
CDR W. G. Foster
30 Apr 1960
CDR E. E.Pierre, Jr.
24 Apr 1961
CDR D. P. Lanaghan
26 Jan 1962
CDR W. C. Kistler
1 Feb 1963
CDR Robert R. Ohsiek
4 Feb 1964
CDR Dwight A. Lane, Jr.
8 Jan 1965
CDR Homer C. Ragsdale, Jr.
7 Jan 1966
CDR Richard B. Campbell
11 Jan 1967
CDR Robert M. Dagg
11 Dec 1967
CDR Lee Maice, Jr.
CDR A W Howard
18 July 1969
Major Overseas Deployments
18 Jun 1943
27 Aug 1943
30 Apr 1944
13 Aug 1944
10 Oct 1944
1 Nov 1944
24 Apr 1945
5 Jun 1950
1 Aug 1951
2 Dec 1951
1 Sep 1951
1 Dec 1951
1 Apr 1966**
1 Oct 1967**
1 Oct 1967**
* The squadron remained deployed overseas, but
moved to a new operating base during the deployment.
** The squadron conducted split deployment to two sites during the same
30th Bomb. Wing, Army 5th Air Force
The squadron remained part of FAW-4 but was assigned thetail code SB on
1946. ** The squadron’s tail code was changed from SB to YC in
1957. The effective date for this changewas most likely
the beginning of FY 1958 (1 July 1957).